9"There was no dependable crossing of the Schuylkill until after 1682. Complaints continued until 1723. Then a lease was granted to Aquila Rose to get adequate boats and make good landings for a period of twenty one years. If good service was offered Rose was allowed a monopoly on ferry crossing. Foot passengers were charged a toll of one penny while wagons were taxed one shilling. After a time Mr. Rose drowned. In 1751 Benjamin Franklin, Casper Wister and Charles Norris studied possibilities of a bridge construction at the same location of the ferry of a Captain Coultas. By 1770 the City of Philadelphia's total tax revenue amounted to 800 Pounds, one quarter of which came from Captain Coultas's Ferry operation then owned by the city.
The first permanent bridge was constructed in 1798 fourteen years after the Revolution. A marble obelisk marked the milestone covered bridge construction of wood on stone pilings deep into the river. In time the obelisk was moved to the Northeast corner of Twenty Third and Market. " Old Roads out of Philadelphia, John Thomsson Faris, 1917.